Thursday, June 17, 2010

Will the 'Jordan effect' diminish with time?

Michael Jordan could be one of the most effective closers of all time. Not baseball, of course. We all know how that turned out. I'm talking about recruiting. 

It's no secret that North Carolina benefits greatly from the "Jordan effect" with recruiting. I can imagine what it's like when those recruits get a letter from Air Jordan, even though I've never witnessed it or seen the letter, I still have an imagination. And if you don't get a letter from Jordan, you're could still play basketball where he did, and for some guys, that carries a lot of weight. 

But it's been a while since Jordan has played and it can be easy for some to forget just how good he was. With each passing year and each incoming recruiting class, we grow further from a generation that grew up watching Michael Jordan. What's going to happen when recruits only know Michael is the best, but never witnessed it?

Will the "Jordan effect" mean less? I think it's unavoidable. 

A letter from Jordan will always mean something; I mean, come on, it's Jordan we're talking about here. But his luster won't last forever. I think UNC may find that part of its recruitng slightly less compelling within five to ten years from now. The Tar Heels can always boast about its professional products, but by then, the program may need to sell itself a little more. 

I guess that's when UNC should be happy that it's, well, UNC.

No comments:

Post a Comment